Throughout this course we learned a variety of topics in the History of Childhood and Education, however, the topics that stuck out the most for me was the segregation and discrimination of children such as by inabilities, disabilities, and race, and how this effected their childhood and education. We looked at children and their inability to go to school because they had to help provide for the family, we discussed disabilities and the inability to go to school because of various abnormalities children had, such as being considered “feebleminded”. In addition to this, we looked at racial segregation in terms of Black children, Asian children, and Indigenous children. Overall, these inequalities that the children had to face greatly effected them, and their childhood and education. Not only did we discuss these topics in class, but I also went further into my research with one of these issues and formulated my research project and my overall ePortfolio from it. The topic of Indian Residential School in BC, Canada, that I showcase throughout my research project and a portion of my ePortfolio made me understand more information regarding racial segregation and discrimination and how this effected the child, and their childhood and education. By the end of the course I came out with a more in depth knowledge on various topics in the History of Childhood and Education, however, the biggest take away was my increased knowledge on the effects of Indian Residential Schools had on the children and how it greatly effected their childhood experience and memories and their overall education they received.

Header Image from: https://www.pexels.com/photo/book-book-pages-browse-education-267586/