I decided to add my research sources into my ePortfolio because they helped me to develop my primary document analysis, my research paper, and over all my research project and this ePortfolio. These sources also helped to increase my knowledge in the area of racial segregation and discrimination of children, such as the Indigenous children and how this effected their childhood and education.

Primary Sources:

1. Kitimat Reserve: Hanna Grant; Deceased. Royal Canadian Mounted Police Document, Prince Rupert, B.C. Ocean Falls, B.C., (June 13, 1922): 1-4.

This source is a police document which outlines the death of a Kitimat Residential School child. It also states the conditions the children had to face while in the school. These points discussed in the document will help me to explain the treatment the children recieved in Residential Schools in Canada and how this treatment affected them in the current situation and later in the future. In addition to this, it will help me to explain what their childhood was like within these schools.

1. Deadly conditions at Ahousaht residential school, described by principle. Indian Agent’s Office, Port Alberni, B.C., February 8, 1929, (January 30th, 1929).

This source is a letter to an Indian Agent on behalf of the principle at Ahousaht Indian Residential School, which describes some of the conditions and health concerns the children endured at their time there. This source will help me to further explain the living conditions these children were subjected to in the schools in this time and relate it to their childhood experiences.

1. Bryce, Peter H. Record of the Health Conditions of the Indians of Canada from 1904 to 1921. In The Story of a National Crime Being An Appeal for Justice to the Indians of Canada. Ottawa, Canada: James Hope & Sons, Limited, (1922): 3-18.

This source is a record of health conditions which includes tuberculosis, a quickly spread disease amongst the Indian population, which was also an issue in the Residential Schools. With this information, this source will help me to integrate more of the conditions and other health related issues within the schools and to explain how this influenced the children, their education, and childhood within the schools.

1. Concerning abuse at the United Church Native Residential School, Port Alberni (1945-1950). Testimony of Harriett Nahanee, given to Rev. Kevin McNamee-Annett. North Vancouver, (December 14, 1995).

This source is a testimony by a residential school survivor who explains the punishment and abuse she endured and witnessed other schoolmates go through while at the Port Alberni Residential School. This source will help me to add more detail about what the children’s lives were like in residential schools so I can integrate that into the section of my essay which outlines the childhood of these children.

Secondary Sources:

1. Dyck, Noel. Differing Visions: Administering Indian Residential Schooling in Prince Albert 1867-1995. Halifax: Fernwood Publishing and Prince Albert: The Prince Albert Grand Council, 1997: 4-134.

This book provides a good overview of the reasons and objectives of the construction of these schools and how this influenced the indigenous children. This source will help me to integrate more information regarding why these schools were put in place, what form of education the children were supposed to receive, and the overall effects these schools had on the children’s lives, education, and childhood.

1. Haig-Brown, Celia. Resistance and Renewal: Surviving the Indian Residential School. Vancouver: Arsenal Pulp Press, 1988: 9-171.

This book contains native school survivor’s perspectives on their experiences at the Kamloops Indian Residential School and also explains the residential school issue across Canada. This source will help me to better understand how people were treated and what survivor’s childhood lives were like, and the education aspect within these schools, so I can add these bits of key information into my research paper.

1. Grant, Agnes. No End of Grief: Indian Residential Schools in Canada. Pemmican Publications Inc., 1996: 17-310.

This book outlines very key aspects I want to discuss throughout my research paper. These include the origins of the schools and the reasons for their establishment, the living conditions and treatment of the children within these schools and how this influenced their childhood experiences, and in addition to this, the education aspect of these schools and what the indigenous children learned from these schools.

1. Zalcman, Daniella. “‘Kill the Indian, Save the Man’: On the painful legacy of Canada’s residential schools.” World Policy Journal, 33, 3, (Fall 2016): 72-85.

This article gives a small amount of information about residential schools, but also has some very good accounts of people’s experiences in a variety of residential schools across Canada. This information will be very beneficial to explaining the lives of children and their experiences when they were in the residential schools so I can explain the topic of childhood within my research paper.

1. Leeuw de, Sarah. “‘If anything is to be down with the Indian, we must catch him very young’: colonial constructions of Aboriginal children and the geographies of Indian residential schooling in British Columbia, Canada.” Children’s Geographies, 7, 2, (May 2009): 123-140.

This article gives information on residential schools and the issues of the schools throughout history. This source also has some pertinent information about the childhood of indigenous children in this time period and how the residential schools influenced this part of their lives. With these key bits of information, it will help me to explain the indigenous children’s childhood in this time.

1. Neeganagwedgin, Erica. “‘They can’t take our ancestors out of us’: A brief historical account of Canada’s residential school system, incarceration, institutionalized policies and legislation against indigenous peoples.” Canadian Issues, (Spring 2014): 31-36.

This article gives a brief background on residential schools in Canada and the experiences and influences these schools had on the children. In addition, it shows the everlasting negative affects the schools have on the survivors. This source will give me information I can integrate into my research paper about how the residential schools played a negative role in people’s lives.

Header Image from: http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/the-dark-legacy-of-residential-schools/